Saturday, March 1, 2008

Mike Smith R.I.P.


When I was 10 years old, the greatest rock singer in the world was Mike Smith of the Dave Clark 5. Period. Matter of fact, I pretty much thought the Dave Clark 5 were the best band in the world. The Beatles were getting the hype, but according to the rock press that I read (Gloria Staver’s 16 Magazine), all British Invasion bands were more or less equal and in constant state of competition!

I loved them all; Herman’s Hermits, Freddy and the Dreamers, Chad and Jeremy, and their photos were pasted or taped to every inch of my bedroom walls (to my parent’s horror, but not because I was in the process of losing myself forever to rock & roll - they were more concerned with the poor paint job on my walls!). But the Dave Clark 5 were my fave. Matter of fact, the DC5's Greatest Hits was the very first album I ever owned.

I still have it. It’s mono, the cover is about as worn as a cover can get, and it is absolutely unplayable, but I will never throw it out. It put me on a 42 year path I never strayed from and never will. To my 10 year old ears, they rocked more than the Beatles. Their songs had a powerful propulsion about them that appealed to me. A combination of elements made that true.

Dave Clark’s drumming was a primary factor. His simple beats propelled the music. His snare drum cracked in a glorious blend of reverb and style. Ringo’s snare thudded to my ears. Charlie Watts’ snare sounded ok, but I just didn’t get a sense of drive that I got from Dave’s sound.

Their sound was also driven by the unique combination of production (lots of reverb) and instrumentation. They had a sax player! Add Mike’s hot-teen-combo organ sound, and you get something that was a little different than most other Brit Invasion bands. It honked, it rocked and it drove. It was relentless.

But it was Mike Smith’s vocals that put them over the other bands for me. He had a growl, and at that time I didn’t hear Paul or John growling. Mike also had a little bit of devilish bad boy in his eyes. He wasn’t as threatening as any of the Rolling Stones, of course, but it was there, and it made a mighty impression. Mike Smith was the best singer on the planet, the DC5 were the best band in the universe and they forever changed my life.

Here’s to you, Mike Smith. I’m truly sorry that the last couple years of your life sucked so bad. I’m sorry you didn’t get to live to see your band be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I’m sorry I never wrote you a fan letter. Your voice is embedded into my 51 year old soul. I feel like a kid again.
Gil

No comments: