Saturday, March 29, 2008

The Big Brother Shot Chronicles

Thursday night I went with some friends to my first NBA game. Golden State Warriors vs Portland Trailblazers. Golden State won. I’m not much of a basketball fan, but the concert...oops...I mean the game was free and I can now say I have seen at least once, all of this country’s major sports; baseball, basketball, football and hockey. I can also now say that I don’t care if I ever see another one. Television will do just fine.

I’m not anti-jock, I truly love hockey and I used to love football and baseball. I still enjoy watching the Oakland A’s on occasion, and I was a Raider fan (before insanity ate all of Al Davis’ brain cells), but now my attention is devoured by the San Jose Shark’s ( Pacific Division Champions!!!!!) quest for the Stanley Cup. I just hate going to arenas, stadiums, rinks and ballparks.

I have always heard that hockey is the best game to see in person. In some aspects it is - you get to see how fast and strong the players are, and seeing the whole rink, you can see how the coach manages his player’s shifts etc...blah blah blah. I’ve seen it live twice now, and I much prefer it on TV. I find I get too distracted by the rock concert setting (esp. basketball - there was not one moment of quiet at the Warrior’s game. Every second was filled by horrible loud music, a very annoying MC, and stupid free stuff handout contest giveaways etc...). I miss the commentator’s analysis, slow-mo replays, reasonably priced beer, and probably most of all - my own private bathroom.

I also hate crowds, being stuck in traffic jams and of course the ridiculous prices on everything regarding a major sporting event (even though the Warrior’s game was free - parking was still $15, beer was $9 but oddly, a jumbo dog was only $4.50).

There were 2 pretty great things about the Warrior’s game; at halftime, these tiny little kids came on to the court and played a very abbreviated pseudo - game. It was so damn cute! They were both boys and girls, and none of them seemed to be over 3 feet tall. Seeing them run the whole length of the court, heaving the basketball up towards the NBA regulation height basket (and sinking many shots!) was pretty awesome. It must have been a huge thrill for them!

The other cool thing was that this was the second major sporting event I have been to with the bass player of Big Brother and the Holding Company. Now that’s cool!

No comments: