Saturday, December 8, 2007

Mr. Big Shot, Who Do You Think You Are?



Last week, John M. Borack's eagerly awaited (at least by my wife!) book; Shake Some Action -The Ultimate Power Pop Guide was finally released. I believe Stacey told me that she had prepaid an order for it about 2 years ago. (of course my wait for a prepaid book Mario Bava-All The Colors Of Dark by Tim Lucas may have set an all-time record for such a thing. I think I waited about 7 or so years for that!). Stacey is way more of a power pop fan than I, so I was content to just flip through it and see if anyone I knew was in it, plus it's kind of cool to see what the powers that be have to say about the power of pop.

I was totally shocked to see that Game Theory's The Big Shot Chronicles was ranked #16 out of the best 200 power pop records of all time! I honestly don't think of that record as power pop, and I really don't think it's better than Todd Rundgren's Something/Anything (#74) or Argybargy by Squeeze (#58), but you know...I'll take it!

I do know that it's a damn good record that means the world to me. It was an extremely bizarre and difficult time in my life, and I find the fact that it was recorded in about a week, smack dab in the middle of a national tour, pretty mind blowing. It was also probably the only album I ever recorded with Scott Miller that I actually knew all of the songs!

So here's to Scott, Shelley, Suzi, Mitch, and why the heck not, myself - regardless of where this album sits on anyone's list, it's a damn good record.

No comments: