Thursday, November 6, 2008

Carolina Blue!


Weird. I have now lived 1/2 of my life in California. The first 1/2 was in Charlotte, N.C., and I gotta tell you, I'm pretty proud of North Carolina right now. Not only did N.C. go for Obama for President, they elected a Democratic Governor and Senator. Way to go, Tarheels!

While California is where I live, N.C. will always be my home. Someday I plan on coming back, but for now....good job! (I also found out that N.C. has a Transylvania County, and even though I'm sure they didn't go for Obama, who could resist not living there!)

Actually, I'm proud to be an American right now. We've done good, and I feel better about this country than I have for a long time. Hope is a good thing, and Obama's election has filled the "hope-void" in my heart that has been there for the longest of times. Feels different. I'm going to let it stay there for a while. Feels good.

This feels good, too:

At the 1:50 point of this video, I usually get tears in my eyes, but they are good tears. It's nice. Love and Hope. Good.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have lived all of my life in NC and it infuriates me at times, and then when you don't expect it, it becomes a truly wonderful place.

As it is written in the tao te ching: He who stays where he is endures...

Luff ya baby
mrki

halfpear said...

I've returned to NC about two years ago. It feels great, and my pride in my state was once again amped up when it went for Barack Obama for president (not to mention dumping that asshole Liddy Dole). As the promo song went years ago, "I like calling North Carolina home."

Gil said...

Thanks for the comments guys@

mrki - California certainly has to be endured, also. It's beautiful, but at times, a tough place to live. I want some salt & pepper catfish!

halfpear - glad you're enjoying this part of your life, back in N.C...when I do come back, I'm thinking maybe Chapel Hill or even Winston Salem..wherever I could get a job. Wal Mart greeter???

halfpear said...

Gil, I highly recommend Durham for a couple reasons: 1.) the proximity to universities in CH, Raleigh and Durham, 2.) this county is the bluest of the blue, 3.) Reverend Gary Davis is from here, 4.) real estate is significantly cheaper than Raleigh or CH, and 5.) there is no number five. PH

Oh yeah, there's a thriving combo scene here.

Anonymous said...

Asheville really looked good to me the last time Roberta and I were there. They have music, clubs college nearby and enough odd folks to fill a very large container.

Chilly Billy in the winter months though...

mrki