Friday, January 4, 2008

When The Rain Comes.....





Had a bit of a storm today on my morning commute. I drive from Albany to San Rafael and I must cross the Richmond-San Rafael bridge in order to get to work. Normally, it's a pretty cool commute; beautiful views of the San Francisco Bay, Marin's Mt. Tamalpais and every one's favorite prison: San Quentin! You are looking at a picture of the Richmond-San Rafael bridge this morning. Still scenic...but good-god-almighty-I- thought-I-was-gonna-die on the damn thing!
My Saturn station wagon was loaded with a full tank of gas ($3.56/gallon) and I was still getting pushed around by the wind as I crossed it. Slowed down to 40 mph and wondered if they were going to close the bridge. About 5 minutes after I got off it, they did, due to the fact that 4 big rigs had just blown over. Scary.
The power went out at work about 10 minutes after I got there. Kinda cool, upsets the routine, but we were basically trapped there because another part of the freeway had to be shut down, leaving few options for those of us that needed to get back to our beloved East Bay. After hanging around for a couple of hours, I decided to get the hell outta Dodge, so I took my chances and went home....The Long Way. We call it a 3 Bridge drive out here; through Marin to the Golden Gate Bridge (not closed), through San Francisco to the Bay Bridge (ditto) and finally back to Albany. Surprisingly, it all took just over an hour.

Best thing about all of this is that my dentist appointment was cancelled. Always a good thing!

I will leave you with an appropriate song, performed by the strange version of Game Theory. We all switched instruments, and I look pretty damned lost on the tambourine, but a neat-o video. Thanks, Robert!




2 comments:

Sue T. said...

I heard on the radio that the bridge had been closed, and I was wondering if you'd made it into work! Glad you got home safely!

Gil said...

Thanks! Kinda fun in a weird way!