Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A Peek Inside Atom-O-Rama Studios!


My hopelessly outdated Tascam 8-Track Cassette Recorder. I paid a lot of money for this back in the day. I also have a stockpile of blank cassettes that better not rot on me!


Here is the Reverb Unit that helps my vocals sound better than they really are. Next to that is what my drum set looks like in the modern world (circa 1995, that it..) I must say that I've gotten pretty good at programming it. It also takes a trip through the Reverb Unit for every recording.


These are my usual guitar effects pedals. I always run my vocals through the Compression pedal. Sometimes the vocals go through the Digital Delay. All the guitars get compressed and I lean very mightily on the Turbo Over-Drive pedal to help achieve a crunchier guitar sound while recording at low volumes.


This is my guitar amp - a Fender Princeton Reverb. I bought it new 32 years ago. I love this amp, but wish I could crank it up during the recording process!


Here are some lesser used pedals and the always used microphones. the Shure SM58 is used for vocals, and the Shure SM77 is used to mic the amp. I bought these around 1980 for live shows with The Happy Eggs.


I use my 30 year old home stereo to help mix my recordings. Bass frequencies get eaten up in our living room, so I always take a burn of a mix and listen to it on my Saturn's stereo, pictured below. Bass booms in my car, so I try to use the 2 references to get something in between.




Oh yeah! I have no studio monitors, so like a dumbass, I mix on my nice Sennheiser headphones that Stacey gave me.

So there you go! This is how I Am Atomic Man! was recorded, and unless I win the lottery, this is how I will continue to record. Glorious Mid-Fi, baby!
Gil

2 comments:

Yes. Thank you. Be good today. said...

very cool - thanks for the tour!

Anonymous said...

Pitiful! Loosen those purse strings and buy yourself some new equipment, son! And you sure are having a ball with your camera since you learned how to use it, huh?
See you tomorrow!
Wynn