Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Way To San Jose


I love hockey. I love the San Jose Sharks and have probably watched most of their televised games in last 5 years or so. Everyone says that in order to fully appreciate the game, you need to see it live so I was thrilled when I was given 2 free tickets for last night’s game - San Jose Sharks vs the Detroit Red Wings! I had seen a live game once a couple of years ago (oddly..vs Detroit!), and I remember feeling a bit overwhelmed by the whole experience. Too much going on.

This time I went with Stacey (who actually likes hockey somewhat...I think it’s the Scandinavian and Eastern European cheekbones - I do think hockey has the best looking players of any sport!), and we were pretty stoked about going. She got off work early and we headed out about an hour down the road to San Jose. We parked in a lot for $20.

We found our seats (darn good ones) and then cruised around looking for something to eat (and in my case, to drink - 4 beers..$24)! We both decided on Chicago dogs (Stacey usually does not eat meat, but this was a special occasion) and I got to say they were awesome! Stacey loved them, too. Next day...not so much. Another $20.

There were a lot of Red Wing fans, and we ended sitting next to some - a man and his very pregnant wife. I found it interesting that he had his cellphone out the whole game, apparently timing her contractions. At the end of the game (Red Wings won 6 to 3), I heard the husband tell his wife he better get the truck now - the contractions were coming 6 minutes apart!

Anyway...while it was fun to be involved in the communal cheering and booing, I much prefer watching the game on T.V.. Matter of fact, I’ve been to baseball and football games and while I think baseball translates pretty well live, I think the others are better served up on the glass teat. I like seeing the action. I like commentators analyzing the game. I like slow motion replays, and perhaps most of all, I enjoy getting another beer or going to the restroom without waiting in any line whatsoever. Plus, it’s a hell of a lot cheaper.

No comments: