Thursday, May 22, 2008

Best Power Pop You've Never Heard!



Here is a part of a blog I wrote concerning my life in music on MySpace (late 60's and early 70's):

Meanwhile, the rock scene in Charlotte just kept getting better. More bands were forming, and they were starting to really develop and sound great. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly added keyboardist Henry Steele. Since there were now four of them, the name changed to GBU.
Henry had been in a band called The New Mix, and recorded an album for United Artists. (It was years later that I finally acquired that LP, trading a coveted Bubble Puppy album for it! How cool is that!) The New Mix included drummer Rob Thorne, who would of course end up years later playing with.....yep, you guessed it -Pat Walters and Jamie Hoover in the Spongetones! They also had a very talented singer and songwriter named David Brown. (Remember that name! I swear to God this will eventually all come together and make sense to the whole purpose of these stories! I hope..). Anyway, The New Mix was a nice blend of psychedelic jamming and David Brown's emerging power-pop talents. He had a great voice and he was starting to write really good songs. The song that stands out on that album is a beautiful pop song he co-wrote with Henry Steele called "Nothing Matters More". Very Left Banke, and that ain't a bad place to be! Soon, he would hook up with Pat Walters and form Jeremiah. And that band would release an album in 1971 on the UNI label, and I think the only 2 people on this planet that bought it were me, and ( you probably know where this is going)..Jamie Hoover!


I did not write much about Jeremiah because I never got to see them (I believe at this point they had relocated to New York). I saw their album and quickly snatched it up at Ernie’s Record Shop at Charlotte’s Park Road Shopping Center. I would not be surprised if that is where my pal Jamie got it, also. The selling point for me was that Pat Walters was on it. I’m not sure that I connected the fact the The New Mix’s David Brown was the primary writer. Obviously, the jacket art could be the worse I’ve ever seen, but the treasures inside shine brightly.

I’m going to share one of the best songs, a very McCartney-esque power pop tune that could be the best power-pop no one has ever heard (except of course Jamie and I!). The album has probably been out of print for 35 years and my record is displaying all the typical signs of maximum wear and tear, but this jewel shines regardless.
I Saw Your Picture In The Paper Jeremiah

While I’m at it, here’s my favorite song from The New Mix’s album. Same songwriter, but with a more psychedelic edge due to the fact that it was released in 1968, and that the kids were lovin’ that crazy sound! Still, a beautiful melody rises from this one:
Nothing Matters More The New Mix

2 comments:

Joe said...

That Jeremiah song is amazing! Be great to get that thing on to CD some day. I bet Not Lame would be interested...

Anonymous said...

George,
I have that album and cannot remember where I got it. I think I stumbled across it at New World Records long ago. I remember Rockbottom doing Roll It Over.
m