Monday, March 24, 2008

It's All About The Guitars!


For a drummer, I sure have lots of guitars. Someone recently asked about them, so I thought I would share...

First up is my Ibanez Artcore AF85. I have always wanted a hollow body electric. I love the clean jazzy sound it has, but love even more the cool natural crunch it can get when I run it through my distortion pedal. There’s this earthy chunk it can get that I find very pleasing to my ears. You can hear the wood! (note to self: Hear The Wood would be a great album title!) If I could record and/or play it loud enough, I’m sure it would be fairly easy to coax great slabs of feedback out of it also, but living in a condo kind of crimps that style.

I really love Gibson 335's, but they were way out of my price range. I tried a couple models by Epiphone, but wasn’t thrilled about the hardware. I saw this baby in the store, tried it out through an amp and fell in love. It exudes a very warm, natural sound, seemed to stay in tune ok, and best of all, it was around $400 new. Bought it about 3 years ago. Oh yeah....looks great, too!

Here’s a tune from I Am Atomic Man! that hopefully, you can hear the qualities I’m talking about. I used it for the rhythm guitar part (not the most ideal recording situation - low volume recording in the condo!), but still, nice and...earthy. To hear the wood , please click here.

No comments: