Sunday, September 20, 2009

A: Don't Pay Her.

Q: How do you make a hormone?

Creepy. My hormone therapy starts this week and I'm feeling creeped out about it. It gets creepier, too. There's just something so unnatural about what my body is getting ready to go through. There could bizarre side effects (most common) and crazy out of this world bizarre side effects (not so common). As mentioned last time, most likely I'll lose even more sex drive and have hot flashes. The hormone therapy expert called me and explained the whole deal to me. She also warned me to not read the uncommon side effects in the literature she sent me. I peeked and wish I hadn't. Trust the experts!

Now, yet another Gil Ray Special Curveball has been thrown at me. While the hormone therapy drug (Lupron) is being used to suppress testosterone level, oddly, upon the initial injection, my body will want to flood itself with testosterone! Not good. So tomorrow I start taking another drug to reduce that event. Fortunately just a total of 6 tablets.

I just get the feeling I'm not going to feel like myself (for better or for worse) for about 6 months. Maybe it will not be so bad - I'm willing to accept tolerable! We'll see.

Weird. Strange. Uncanny.

And definitely creepy.

But I got to keep looking at big picture. If all goes well, I'll be able to look back at these coming 6 months and wonder what all the fuss was about. Ahhh...good times!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your last paragraph is exactly on point.

Plus, if all the hormone therapy makes you grow breasts or something - well, I was going to say one more reason to have fun all by yourself but you also said reduced sex drive, so, uh, never mind.

Gil said...

Thanks, Jeff - I'm thrilled you have been on this ride with me the whole way. Your comments are very welcome, and some of 'em crack me the hell up!

Anonymous said...

Never read the side effects!!! You will end up with every ailment known to man.

Would you like to dance?

mrki

Gil said...

Put on your red shoes, mrki!