Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Predicament

From Webster's New World Dictionary:
Predicament 1. a condition or situation, now specif. one that is difficult, unpleasant, embarrassing, or, sometimes, comical

For the past several weeks I have had a serious debate going on in my mind on whether or not I should write about this, but today my brain and my heart said in a very emphatic way - "Yes".

A little over 3 weeks ago I was diagnosed with prostate cancer, but I'm going to be fine, folks. I really am! But I will have surgery to remove the ol' boy (thanks for the memories pal, and all the damn trouble you've gotten me into!). My doctors, my wife, my family and most importantly, myself, all agree that I will have a good outcome. I believe us and amazingly, the math (!) adds up to a full recovery. (more about the math, later...)

This will not be a Gil Has Cancer Diary. To me, that just seems too creepy. But some of the stuff I've been through is just flat-out too good and too crazy to not write about! And who knows - maybe some helpful info will be provided to help guide some of my male readers about this predicament. Yep - we're getting older, boys!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for this. What took you so long...
m

Gil said...

Well...I struggled with it for weeks. It's very personal stuff, and the concept seems a bit ghoulish..blogs about cancer = deathwatch! I was just skittish, basically, but it's also theraputic, so screw it. Some of this stuff gets hilarious!