Friday, July 4, 2008

Two Nightmare Images From My Past Are Gone...



Honestly, I don't know which image frightened me more as a child.

I'm not alone in my opinion that clowns are scary. While I'm sure Larry Harmon was a good man and meant well, his persona as Bozo the Clown gave me nightmares. I think the combination of make-up, maniacal grin and the shock of red hair looked more like a disguise to me. A way to go undetected as he hid under my bed at night, patiently waiting for me to fall asleep so he could drag me under the bed and start chewing the flesh off of my bones.

Jesse Helms on the other hand, stood for everything that was wrong to me as a liberal, long-haired hippie rock n' roll musician in the early 70's. The first 26 years of my life were spent in North Carolina, so I had a lot of up-close knowledge of his hateful politics. While I'm also sure that he'll be missed by his family and loved ones, his politics will not be missed. His policies and campaign tactics also hid underneath my bed at night, waiting to gnaw on my soul and to eat the heart out of everything that should be good, fair and tolerant. Things that this country should stand for. You know...freedom and democracy...stuff like that.

No comments: